On December 23, 2016, the new fee schedule for United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) forms went into effect. In accordance with the new fee schedule, the USCIS released new editions of affected USCIS forms.
Initially, the USCIS website indicated that no previous versions of the forms that received new editions on December 23, 2016, would be accepted.1 However, on December 29, 2016, the USCIS announced that it would accept prior versions of the affected forms, with the exception of the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, until February 21, 2017. However, if an application is filed on an older version of the form, the application must still be filed with the new filing fee. The USCIS nevertheless encourages applicants to use the new editions of the affected forms even if filing prior to February 21, 2017. Forms that were filed or postmarked before December 23, 2016, are unaffected.
In short, if an individual files a prior acceptable edition of one of the forms that received a new edition on December 23, 2016, the form will be acceptable only if it is filed or postmarked prior to February 21, 2017, along with the new filing fee. However, if the applicant is filing the Form N-400, he or she must use the new edition dated December 23, 2016, even if it filing prior to February 21, 2017.
When completing an immigration form, an applicant should always consult the USCIS website. The USCIS website contains downloadable versions of each form, form instructions, and information on which editions of the form will be accepted. Individuals filing a form with the USCIS are also well advised to consult with an experienced immigration attorney for guidance.
Please see our full article to learn about the new filing fees [see article].
The following is the list of all of the forms that received new editions on December 23, 20162:
- Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card
- Form I-102, Application for Replacement/Initial Nonimmigrant-Arrival-Departure Document
- Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker
- Form I-129CW, Petition for a CNMI-Only Nonimmigrant Transitional Worker
- Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)
- Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
- Form I-131, Application for Travel Document
- Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation)
- Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker
- Form I-191, Application for Relief Under Former Section 212(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)
- Form I-192, Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant
- Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal
- Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal or Motion
- Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant
- Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
- Form I-485 Supplement A, Supplement A to Form I-485, Adjustment of Status Under Section 245(i)
- Form I-526, Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur
- Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status
- Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as Immediate Relative
- Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition
- Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility
- Form I-601A, Application for Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver
- Form I-612, Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement (under section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as Amended)
- Form I-690, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility
- Form I-694, Notice of Appeal of Decision Under Sections 245A or 210 of the Immigration and Nationality Act
- Form I-698, Application to Adjust Status from Temporary to Permanent Resident (Under Section 245A of the INA)
- Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
- Form I-800, Petition to Classify Convention Adoptee as an Immediate Relative
- Form I-800A, Application for Determination of Suitability to Adopt a Child from a Convention Country
- Form I-817, Application for Family Unity Benefits
- Form I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition
- Form I-910, Application for Civil Surgeon Designation
- Form I-924, Application For Regional Center Under the Immigrant Investor Program
- Form I-924A, Supplement to Form I-924
- Form I-929, Petition for Qualifying Family Member of a U-1 Nonimmigrant
- Form I-942, Request for Reduced Fee
- Form I-942P, Income Guidelines for Reduced Fees
- Form N-300, Application to File Declaration of Intention
- Form N-336, Request for a Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings (Under Section 336 of the INA)
- Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
- Form N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes
- Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship
- Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322.